“October 23, 2020, Halifax, NS – The South End Container Terminal extension at the Port of Halifax is now complete and is fully operational. The first vessel to call on this expanded piece of critical infrastructure, operated by PSA Halifax, is the Zim Tarragona which arrived on October 23, 2020”.
“With the extension project finished, the South End Container Terminal operated by PSA Halifax now has the longest and deepest container berth in Eastern Canada with 800 metres continuous length and 16 metres depth”.
“The recent installation of a new Super Post-Panamax (SPPX) crane, the largest in Eastern Canada, brings the total compliment of SPPX quay cranes at PSA Halifax to five”.
“Vessels over 15,000 TEU already calling further show how the Port of Halifax is a significant player amongst East Coast deep water ports and is taking part in the growing deployment of Ultra-Class Container Vessels”.
- • January 2019 Dredging begins
- • Spring 2019 Caisson construction begins at Richmond Terminals
- • Summer 2019 Placement of caissons
- • Fall 2019 Terminal infilling
- • Spring 2020 Concrete walls and placement of armour stone
- • Summer 2020 Arrival and placement of PSA Halifax SPPX crane
- • Fall 2020 Asphalt and placement of additional topside infrastructure
Deep water berth extension at Port of Halifax fully operational
“Offering a natural, deep harbour and big ship infrastructure, Halifax can accommodate large volumes of containerized cargo, bulk cargo and project cargo of any size. Collaborating and working with strong partners and stakeholders, the Port community in Halifax continues to deliver excellence”.